Friday, March 28, 2014

In The Kitchen: SHEPARD'S PIE


Ingredients:

2 Cups Peas
2 Large Carrots
2 Cups Cauliflower (optional)
4-5 Small Potato's (if you choose to not use the cauliflower increase your potatoes to 8)
1 Onion
1lb. ground beef or lamb
1 tbsp butter
Milk (I use low cal Almond Milk but whatever you have is fine)
1 Packet of Shepard's Pie seasoning (or you can recreate it with Worcestershire & beef stock!)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Cheddar Cheese (optional)



Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F.

Wash and Peel your potatoes


Cut them into manageable sized pieces and boil with 1 tbsp of salt.


Did you know that if you put a wooden spoon/spatula across a boiling pot it won't boil over!!  It totally works :)!


While your potatoes are boiling away cut up your cauliflower into bite sized pieces.


If you have a food processor/blender you can use that but I don't so I'm going old school.  Put your diced cauliflower in a sandwich bag.


And give it a good couple of whacks with the back side of a pan!


By the time you're done with your cauliflower your potato's should be fork tender.  Drain out the water and mash!


Combine your cauliflower into your mashed potato's.  (The cauliflower is optional but it's super good for you! Heart healthy, lots of fiber and EXTREMELY low in calories - makes the potatoes feel like guilty lol)


A tbsp of butter, a splash of milk and season.


Add your Cheddar here (also optional.. but I love cheese and to me there's nothing better then cheesy mashed potato's!!)

Mix all of the ingredients together.


Break up and brown your ground meat of choice I used beef!


Add your diced onion and cook together.


Drain the fat and then add your peas and carrots.


Add your seasoning mix, water and cook together.



Spoon your Shepard's Pie filling into a baking pan and spread evenly.


Then spoon your cauliflower/potato mash on top.


Also spread evenly and bake for 30 min!


Yum!

The Hubs says it tastes like a "warm hug" whatever that means lol.

If you want to be "fancy" you can put them into ramekins and make individual portions! :)

15 comments:

  1. warm hug is so unique taste description! haha. but this pie looking great and delish! I never made one with cauliflower before, i should try it next time to cut down some calories huh? lol great idea Lisa! Definitely gonna try this recipe!

    www.yoannita90.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love shepherd's pie - the finished product looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks amazing! will definitely try it out once winter comes. thanks for sharing!

    ♥ M&L twoplicates

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh It looks so good!

    http://ladyparisienne.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh...reminds me of elementary school! i LOVE shepherd's pie...never tried to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tried this, we don't have it in Holland I think. Now I can try to make it myself. I am really curious.

    www.writingmonique.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Original ! It looks delicious.
    Have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. u made me hungry Lisa :D loved ur recipe.. Happy Weekend xoxo
    My latest post :http://natashabhatt.blogspot.in/2014/03/oriflame-studio-artist-concealer-illuma.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks yummy, i think i must try to make it :D

    btw I'm having giveaway linf choker and dress on my blog
    for more info check elenaputri.blogspot.com , don't miss it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg this looks amazing ! And wow, you have a killer sense of style AND you can cook? You're officially role-model material Lisa! :D xo

    Hayfa
    www.londonloafers.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so good! I never knew that cauliflower was so good for you. Since it doesn't have a lot of flavor, I should mix it into more foods.

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg this looks so good and comforting! i want a bitee! haha :)

    katslovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks absolutely delicious. Probably would try making them tomorrow. They look THAT good:D Oh my gosh, the part about whacking it with the back of your pan made me laugh especially because I can imagine myself going crazy and overboard with the pan. AHAHAHA

    ♥ Charms | My ∞ Fashion Confession

    ReplyDelete